Thursday, June 26, 2008

The past and the young

Evening all - said the fool.

I spend some time reading to my children part of a short book that my mum wrote about being evacuated from London in the 2nd World War. Its an odd feeling, getting an insight into the life and mind of my mother when she was a child and reading that story to my own children.

It is a sad story in many ways. They are all so sad being taken away from their families and placed with strangers who, very often, did not welcome what seemed to be wild city kids. Sad too as a couple of the children are killed in accidents and others, including my mum and her sister are treated badly.

Fundamentally though, its a story of life, of children growing up and growing and above the horror and the hardship of the war. For my mum, me and my children, its a good story - we are all here to tell the tale and live the life.

Take care, Px

No comments: