Thursday, October 11, 2007

Healing - On the mysteries of Harry Edwards

It was a mystery to me how I would be related to a well known spiritual healer - Harry Edwards, my grandfather.

There is not a great deal spiritual about me - at least not in the way that I understand that he was.... healing with the spirit of another.

I do though have a feeling for how people can be healed and that there may well be people who are better placed to channel that healing than others - to act as guides. I think that healing is both a state of mind and a state of motion or change.

We can only be healed and change to be how we would like to be once we have better understood our own state of mind and seen for ourselves that we have the power within us to make that change. I cannot change someone else - I cannot heal them - any more than anyone can change someone else through force of will.

There are clearly physical ways to change someone - to sooth or harm - and how we behave may well have an effect. But is the other person's reaction to our behaviour that is the change - they make that change and, as we so often see, how another reacts is not often what we expect, at least not entirely.

I'm thinking about how to channel others into healing themselves. Here there may be a link to Harry Edwards - a desire to heal through a medium that naturally presents itself whatever than may be.

For him his medium aligned with his more spiritual life. For me, I don't know for sure - but if I have an ability to help with healing then it would be through the person themself with me.

I know that it is commonly said that change can only come from within the individual without the influence of others. But is that really so, it rather flies in the face of common experience - we so often have others to guide us, sometimes in a better way, sometimes not. Impossed change, as I have said, rarely works convincingly - but I believe shared, colabative change can work.

We so often start with what we believe to be the certainties in life - the benchmarks against which we judge our current state and assess where we would like to be... or determine where we feel we will never reach. It makes some sense in terms of logic to know where one is starting from on a journey. But, I am taking about changing to a healed state - its all about understanding where to go and sometimes that means ignoring where we are starting from. We may not actually be able to change the facts, our upbringing, financial status, health, but we can change our reaction to them - with help.

A similarity with my views and those of more spiritual people is my own growing realisation of the power of faith in the unknown. Not an unknown God or spirit but an as yet unknown... just that. There is plenty to be gained from going with the confusion.

Some more another day.

No comments: